These bad sales tactics are common and easy to slip into, but will ultimately hurt your sales performance. Learn how to avoid them and what to do instead.
Impatience and fear are the two greatest sources of bad sales tactics. In this sales training article, we’ll discuss how to avoid these mindsets and the bad habits that arise from them.
Here are my top 10 bad sales habits and tactics:
- Saying “Yes” to anything and everything
- Overcomplicating the sale
- Lack of focus
- Talking over the client
- Getting lost and distracted by technology and tools
- Telling, not asking
- Pushing too hard on marginal deals
- Moving too quick
- Ignoring the relationship
Ok, but how do I increase my sales closings?
Great question. Let’s switch gears and talk about the psychology of closing a sale. Let’s think also about the psychology of saying, “Yes” and buying something.
Here are the key characteristics of a sale:
- Multiple discussions
- Trust and credibility
- Understanding of the customer’s need (by the seller) and the product (by the buyer)
- The right timing
- Consistent follow-up
What are some good sales techniques?
Let’s close up with some strong sales tactics.
- Start every contact with an objective in mind
- Keep it simple, don’t over-explain
- Ask questions
- Listen to the answers
- Be patient
- Be comfortable with a sale taking multiple contacts
- Let the sale come to you
Recommended Additional Reading: